divider bar

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

And You Thought Farming was Easy...

Image by Prozac1 at freedigitalphotos.net

Well, I blew it :(  I am taking part in the A to Z blogging challenge and I missed the first day!  Well I wasn't feeling that great yesterday anyways so I'm just going to sneak this post in on the 2nd.

I had the privilege of growing up on a farm in the Midwest and I can't believe how lucky I was to be able to do so. Plenty of room to fly kites, large quantities of barn cats clawing at your feet, irrigation pipes on the lawn to run through when it's hot outside, a shelterbelt of pine trees to play "expolorer" in....I mean really, it doesn't get much better than that.  One of my favorite things was getting to ride with my dad in the combine/ or tractor after school and read Hank the Cowdog books to him (If you have trouble reading in a bumpy car, try reading in tractor...)  We'd laugh and laugh about the crazy things Hank and his friend Drover did and I loved every minute of it.

I came across an article today that both made me laugh and spoke some truth.  To me, it seems that most people (or at least those who live in larger cities) have their "ideas" about farmers and what they do all day.  Farming is harder than it looks and there's way more to it than feeding animals and driving around on a tractor all day.  Take a look and you may be surprised to find some cool facts!

3 comments:

  1. Better late then never :)

    I liked the article and loved the first post. Hank the Cowdog is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Mallory--glad you got this posted! :) I always thought it would be fun to live on a farm. I never have, but I grew up reading the Little House books and, although I know those took place nearly 150 years ago, it always sounded like a really amazing life. Lots of work, of course, but so satisfying. :)

    Jaimie
    Living in the Light

    (ps--for the Challenge, it'll make it easier for people to comment if you turn off your "CAPTCHA" feature--the word verification. You can just disable anonymous comments and enable comment moderation to avoid getting any spam. that's what I do. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know I had CAPTCHA on! I think I turned it off, did it work?

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...